Saturday 26 September 2009

fooled by a momentary glimpse..

Of course I constantly despair at my own incapacity, at the impossibility of ever accomplishing anything, of painting a valid, true picture or even of knowing what such a thing ought to look like. But then I always have the hope that, if I persevere, it might one day happen. And this hope is nurtured every time something appears, a scattered, partial, initial hint of something which reminds me of what I long for, or which conveys a hint of it - although often enough I have been fooled by a momentary glimpse that then vanishes, leaving behind only the usual thing.
I have no motif, only motivation. I believe that motivation is the real thing, the natural thing, and that the motif is old-fashioned, even reactionary (as stupid as the question about the Meaning of Life).

- Gerhard Richter (20 February 1985)

----------------------

I read and then re-read this piece by Richter and decided I had to post it.

3 comments:

  1. What a great quote by Richter.
    You could have written that.
    This resonates.
    Something to remind ones self of again and again.
    We all have our doubts, we've all been fooled. There is some comfort in that.

    Great post- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just do what you do, do it well, the muse is a fickle bitch that will not be tamed.

    ReplyDelete