Monday 25 May 2009

trap

"in a curious way what one is always hoping to do
is to paint the one picture that will annihilate all
the others, to concentrate everything into one painting" (Bacon)

Hit a chord with me recently having been 'stuck' with the one
same painting since November 2008..
..I'm still painting it..
it still isn't working...

'Sunday' said she knows alot of artists who spend vast amounts
of time absorbing things..
.. and to 'be kind to yourself'

I want to be kind to myself. It is good advice.

I have forgotten everything or dispensed with it all, replaced
it with confusion and stress.

With this comes 'clunky' paintings that don't work and refuse
to be anything.. because you don't have a 'hold on anything'

I don't watch TV, I don't read books, I don't have time to go
out drinking and having a laugh..
I'm very busy...
busy in my studio, trying to work out why everything is no good
and doesn't work anymore.
even if it did.. I wouldn't realise it.. or probably hate it.

This has been posted to remind myself that I am an idiot.

..and I do need to be reminded of that fact or else I will be
lost forever.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathe, man. Make yourself some bad art.
    Know that I'm in the same boat as you, but without so much success in my past.
    All I can say is that I think it's important that you WANT to make art. Try to make the rest enjoyable.
    And thanks for writing that.

    ReplyDelete